The Platinum Package
*FREE Birth Pool & Entonox Gas with this package
The Platinum package is our most comprehensive package and is designed for anyone who wishes to have complete care, with minimal attendance at a hospital during pregnancy.
It is suitable for clients looking for a home or hospital birth.
Before care commences:
Care commences in early pregnancy. Clients choosing this package do not need to access any care from another provider unless a problem develops.
Plan of Care:
Please visit our resource library for more details about plans of care and lots of other information to help you make decisions.
Antenatal appointments will be at week 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36 then weekly until baby arrives. At each appointment your midwife will offer to complete a physical check of mum and baby, measure baby (after week 24), listen to the heartbeat (after week 16), take your blood pressure and test your urine. She will also talk through options, choices and birth planning. Your appointments include parent education and if you wish, colostrum harvesting. Each appointment lasts 1-2hrs.
- You will be offered early pregnancy blood tests for HIV, Hepatitis, syphilis, thalassaemia, sickle cell, group, antibodies and full blood count.
- If you are Rhesus negative, we offer you screening at 12 weeks to determine baby blood group. This can avoid unnecessary injections of anti-D for you. Please visit our resource library for more information (RhD test)
- Your package includes a NIPT test. This is a blood test from mum around 12 weeks to examine baby DNA for the common chromosomal conditions (Downs syndrome, Edwards syndrome and Pataus syndrome). You can choose the Harmony, or the SAFE test. More information is available in our resource library.
- You will be offered a blood test at week 28 to check for anaemia, platelet count and any antibodies
- If you are in a “at risk” group for gestational diabetes, your package includes a GTT test at home.
- You will be offered a blood test at week 34 or 36 to check your platelet count and to see if you are anaemic at all.
Your package of care also includes private scans. We will call you and offer you a range of appointments at a private clinic close to you. Scans are normally:
- Early pregnancy dating scan
- 18-20 week anomaly scan
- Third trimester scan for growth or position, as needed
- Any other scan clinically indicated. For example, this may be additional growth scans if your midwife is concerned.
Your midwife is on call 24/7 from 37 weeks of pregnancy and she will support you to birth in hospital or care for you at home. If you are planning a home birth, your midwife will give you our “Planning your home birth” booklet so you can start to think about the logistics and practicalities to optimise your birth experience.
After baby is born:
The Platinum package includes four weeks of postnatal care. Typically, this is 3-4 visits at home in the first week and a further 2 visits in week two and then weekly visits after that. During this time your midwife will ensure feeding is established, you and baby are well, arrangements are made for the NIPE (new-born paediatric exam) and the NBBS (New-born blood spot) test. She will also make sure you have an appointment for a new-born hearing test.
The hearing test is completed by an audiologist so your midwife cannot do this at home. However, your midwife will ensure you have an appointment for the test.
Many of our midwives are trained to complete the NIPE paediatric examination. This is an additional qualification. If your midwife is not trained, she will ask a colleague to visit and complete that part of your care. In the event that for unexpected reasons a Private Midwife cannot complete the NIPE, we will arrange for the NHS/HSE to complete this for you*.
The NBBS, also known as the New-born blood spot, or PKU test, is a blood test taken from baby. Normally the blood is from a heel prick around day 5. The test looks for a number of genetic and metabolic disorders and forms part of routine new-born screening. Your midwife will complete this test at home.
Baby welcome hamper:
We will send you a baby welcome hamper with a range of lovely products to try. This is our gift to you and includes items such as eco-friendly nappies, biodegradable wipes, skin friendly baby toiletries etc.
* In ROI we are in discussions with a private lab to offer all blood tests. Until this arrangement is finalised, we cannot guarantee availability of blood tests in Ireland due to postal issues sending the blood back to the UK lab. We are also in the process of training our midwives to complete the NIPE examination. The cost of the blood tests and the NIPE exam is not included in your package if you are in Ireland.