Legislation that has been ratified by the British Government making professional indemnity insurance compulsory for all registered health professionals, including midwives. This means that it will become illegal to practice as a midwife without insurance after April. This situation does not come as a result of any law suit against Independent Midwives but due to 2 mal practice cases against private dentists who were uninsured. So it is a case of unintended consequences.
This sounds on the surface entirely reasonable – after all, you wouldn’t drive a car without insurance – in fact, you might be surprised to find that this was not the case already. However the big difference is that, while midwives employed by the NHS are insured via the NHS Litigation Authority, up to now there was simply no insurance available for independent midwives.
Well not anymore! UK Birth Centres Ltd provides full insurance cover and Quality Care Commission endorsement for independent Midwives who are employed by them on a zero hours contract.
Why is this good news and who will benefit?
- Anyone who simply wants to know who will be their midwife when they go into labour and have the opportunity to develop a relationship with them prior to the birth
- Those thinking of having an independent midwife for their first baby
- If you are pregnant with twins or a breech baby or wanting a normal birth after caesarean section; in which case an independent midwife is often the only choice for a normal approach to this kind of birth
- If you have had a difficult time with your first baby and are thinking of having an independent midwife for your second birth to help you achieve a positive outcome.
- If you have already had independent midwifery care and want the same midwife again
- Your daughter who will want have babies of her own someday and want to protect her choices
- All of us who simply believe in a woman’s right to choose the maternity care she needs.
If independent midwifery disappeared then these options may disappear overnight. Now with the UK Birth Centres Independent Midwives are able to stand side by side with our clients protecting their choices and being with them when they need us.